Do you feel guilty for over-indulging in not so healthy food during snack time? Fret not, here are a list of ready to eat snacks that are healthy and nutritious for your body. You can also lose weight if you replace your dose of chips and sweetened beverages with this healthier options. Remember to keep your portion size up to 1 serving.
1. Fresh Fruits
- Fruits are high in fibre and low in calories.
- To save time, get fruits that can easily be peeled such as mandarin oranges and banana or fruits that can easily be bitten into (e.g. apples).
2. Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts and seeds are healthy source of fats and can protect heart health.
- Limit to only one handful as their calories are high.
- If you are the type who eats when bored, best to avoid this kind of snack.
3. Steamed snacks (corn, pau, chickpeas, nuts)
- Steamed snacks are lower in calories than those fried ones.
- Snacks such as pau are high in protein and will keep you full.
- For hot drinks, avoid whipping cream and ask for no to low sugar.
- Sweet drinks like juices and carbonated drinks are not encouraged as they make you hungry fast.
- 3 in 1 drink packets are high in sugar. Best to make your own drink as you can then control the taste to your preference.
- Stay away from cream buns and buns that have sugar glaze.
- Best to get buns with eggs, tuna or meat in it as the protein is high.
- If you are a vegetarian, plain buns will be the best choice.
- Opt for oat biscuits or wheat biscuits as they are high in fibre and keep you full longer.
- Stay away from cream filled biscuits as they are high in calories.
1. Snacking, MyHealth, KKM
2. Healthy Snacks, MyHealth, KKM
3. Nuts and Seeds for Heart Health, Heart Foundation
4. High Protein Foods for Weight Loss, Medical News Today